I’ve now seen a dietitian twice at the Emily program. She’s fantastic and takes on every patient as an individual, vs just applying a “plan” which I totally love.
We finished up my intake this week and my assignment is now to record what I’m eating…but this is not the same as Weight Watchers or calorie counting.
She is linked to my entries and we can talk about them in future appointments. She uses it to help me find patterns, ways of thinking, etc.
Here’s an example of one of my entries (there is an app on my phone, as well as a web page that I can use with the questions).
- How energetic are you feeling? (scale from lethargic -moderate – hyperactive) very engergized
- How are you feeling overall? (scale from depressed – average – rocking the world) great
- Yes/No Questions:
- Are you feeling guilt? no
- Are you feeling anxious? no
- Are you feeling sad? no
- Are you feeling irritable? no
- Are you feeling angry? no
- Are you feeling bored? no
- Are you feeling tired? no
- Are you feeling joy? yes
- Who did you eat with? (alone – friends – parents – other) alone
- Where did you eat? (school/work/home/friend’s house/outside/restaurant/ in treatment/other): home
- How long ago did you eat? 8:00am
- What did you eat and drink? (not measurements or portions, just a space to list it out)
- Fiber One Chocolate Cereal w/Almond Milk
- Coffee with cinnamon/honey/almond milk
- Portion size: (inadequate/adequate/excessive): adequate
- Did you binge? (yes/no): no
- How strong is your urge to binge now? (scale from not at all – moderate – overbearing): not at all
- How hungry were you before your meal? (scale from not at all – moderate – extremely starved): famished
- How full are you now? (scale from not at all – comfortable – unbearable): comfortable
- Thought diary (a place for notes/thoughts about the meal): Average breakfast. I had a big bowl of cereal and I hope it will tide me through to lunch at noon with my friend.
Obviously each meal and each day can be very different depending on what is going on around me, how I feel, etc. But I wanted to share this because even though it is tracking…its not for making me aware of what’s going into my mouth, its making me aware of my attitudes towards food, people, mealtimes, etc.
I’ve learned a few things already and it hasn’t even been a whole week! For example…a good attitude, great night’s sleep and recent exercise help me automatically make better choices, and it doesn’t feel like “restricting” its just a choice..and it happens to be a good one 🙂